Updated: Jul 31, 2020
People often ask me “Why Study Abroad” and I have lots to say on this matter which I thought I would share in this article. Studying abroad is a great opportunity to develop additional social, academic and language skills, whilst at the same time adding numerous advantages to employability after finishing University. In this post we will go through my 12 reasons to study abroad and why studying internationally can be right for you. We will also discover the top 10 destinations to study abroad
Studying abroad may be one of the most beneficial experiences for a college student. By studying abroad, students have the opportunity to study in a foreign nation and take in the allure and culture of a new land. Here is a list of the top 10 reasons ‘why study abroad’ . Here's my list of top 5 reasons to study abroad:
Top 5 reasons to Study Abroad
1. Making friendships with other students studying abroad is one of the second reasons to study abroad
The opportunity of studying abroad allows you to meet new people from all over the world and allows you to develop friendships which will last for a lifetime.
The friends you will meet will be your weekend travel companions, study buddies, and will be there for you when you’re feeling homesick. Meeting people who understand you is the key to building long lasting friendships! For example, you could be studying abroad in Europe and meet lifelong friends from countries that may not have visited before, which can be exciting and interesting! Then when you return and your original friends ask you 'why study abroad' ? You can then fill them in on all the great experiences you had with all your fellow study Abroad students you meet in your host country.
2. Of course, experience a new culture is one of the additional major reasons to Studying Abroad - 'experiencing culture' is not something you can do as a tourist. Yes, of course, as a tourist you can 'try new foods, visit festivals, sight see ect.... However, experiencing such rituals as an 'student' or as a 'almost'-local, the experience is completely different. For example, in Hong Kong, living a 9-5 University life allows you to feel, experience and live almost as a native in which should not be taken for granted, as such experiences will be hard to come by once you immerse yourself in working life. That is why when people ask, 'Why Study Abroad?' I say it is for the 'experience' of living in a new country, which studying abroad grants you.
3. Another reason to 'Why Study Abroad' is that you will increasingly appreciate your home and family life
Deciding to leave your home country and study abroad is a courageous step, however ones you arrive you will soon become to realise that any parental arguments or sibling rivalry you may have had will be a distant memory and you will slowly become to realise how grateful you are to have those individuals in your life. Likewise, they’ll have time to forget about all your less attractive qualities too… When you get back these relationships will be a lot stronger!
4. The eleventh reason to 'Why Study Abroad' is that Studying Abroad increases your international job prospects
While you can always go home at the end of your time as an international student, many choose to stay put and apply for a working visa. Even if you return home or decide to seek work elsewhere, the international experience provided by studying abroad is likely to be looked on favourably by employers.
5. The final reason to 'Why Study Abroad' is that international student funding is becoming more common
Studying abroad doesn’t have to be expensive or costly. It is clear that with the increasing number of scholarships, studentships available for international exchange students, which are offered by governmental bodies, Universities and non-Governmental bodies. Illustrates how studying abroad can be increasingly affordable and manageable.
If you are interesting in learning more about scholarships for the UK check out our other pages to find out how studying abroad in the UK can be funded.
If you wish to find out more, head over to our 'Study Abroad page' where you can find over more reasons to 'Why study Abroad', as well as my top tips and the top destinations to study abroad.